Jordan Guydon’s International Practice Group provides a broad range of comprehensive legal services to corporate, financial and industrial clients. Clients include both U.S. and non-U.S. companies and individuals pursuing opportunities arising from cross-border trade and investment flows. Group attorneys are skilled and experienced in international trade, infrastructure development, finance, taxation, investment, environmental, regulatory, intellectual property, real estate matters, dispute resolution and more. From this broad pool of talent, the Group offers a multi-disciplinary team of legal professionals designed to efficiently serve each clients’ specific needs. The International Practice Group is committed to adding value to every transaction for which it is engaged. The Group’s mission is to help clients achieve their international business goals, while working within different company and country cultures.
The Group’s attorneys understand the many cultural issues that U.S. based companies face when investing in foreign markets. Services are available to help existing clients, or to assist new clients seeking experienced, international counsel to supplement the efforts of their existing domestic counsel. Outbound legal services include:
- Foreign market entry, particularly in the Caribbean.
- Structuring of international joint venture arrangements.
- Design, negotiation, and documentation of international transactions.
- Creation and protection of global intellectual property rights.
- Management and oversight of overseas and domestic legal interests.
- Immigration and visa matters.
The Group’s structured finance experience includes advising clients on the negotiation and closing of complex equity and debt transactions, primarily in the U.S. The Group has helped clients design and implement non-recourse and structured financings, which have included interim and permanent bank and lease financings, as well as capital markets transactions. Structured finance services include:
- Designing and implementing a variety of private and public offerings of equity and debt securities in certain international markets.
- Managing U.S. and foreign securities laws compliance.
- Designing, negotiating, drafting and closing loan arrangements and security packages, including letters of credit and unsecured, asset-based, single lender and syndicated deals.
- Due diligence activities and assessment of project financing viability.
The International Practice Group has considerable experience advising clients on international trade issues that arise when U.S. companies do business abroad. These issues have become more complex as a result of emerging global markets and the subsequent increased difficulty of cross-border transactions. In order to minimize client risks, the Group conducts due diligence on potential international trade issues on the front end of a deal, and offers support to clients when and if trade complications arise. International Trade services include:
- Advising clients in the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and compliance with the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.
- Advising clients on issues related to the European Union, the General Agreement on Trade and Tariffs, the World Trade Organization and the North American Free Trade Agreement.
- Advising clients on U.S. Customs and import issues (including proper classification, valuation and marking of cargos), as well as issues related to the export of goods from the U.S., including licensing, export control embargo regulations and controlled carrier issues.
- Advising clients on intellectual property issues.
The International Practice Group advises foreign clients on the legal aspects of implementing business ventures in the U.S., as well as assisting foreign-based clients in both public and private cross-border securities offerings. An important part of this practice includes assisting clients with their efforts to invest in U.S. real estate. The Group is also experienced in foreign bank representation, as well as in providing immigration and tax planning services for foreign companies and individuals. Inbound legal services include:
- Acquisition, development and management of real property assets.
- Headquarters and manufacturing relocations, and merger and acquisition transactions.
- Immigration, residency and labor issues, including work permits, green cards and union matters.
- Tax, audit and estate planning.
- Creation and protection of intellectual property rights.
The Group’s attorneys possess a wealth of skills and knowledge in both inbound and outbound international transactions. Drawing on the knowledge of attorneys with training in a multitude of disciplines, the Group ensures that clients receive comprehensive legal services for their complex legal and business needs.